Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Work with me GMA!

When I heard about the contest "Work With Me, GMA!" I knew I had to apply, given that riding a bike taxi is one of the most interesting, challenging and rewarding jobs I've ever had!  Seriously, I could never apply for something like this sitting in an office, making phone calls or doing something typical all day.  As a former news producer, that would NOT make good television!  Below is the 250 word essay I've submitted.  Cross your fingers they want to "work with me!" 

A 120 lb. woman, pulling three full grown men in a cart: that’s me.  I left a high paying, television ad sales job this summer to pursue my passion.  While applying to start a local Girls on the Run Council, I’ve taken on a few part time jobs, and driving a bike taxi is one of them.  I’ve driven some interesting characters from all walks of life, including men sporting tights and tu-tus, incredibly generous homeless people, and a baseball team mascot.  I’ve endured the physical challenge of pulling folks of all shapes and sizes up hills on a one speed bicycle, felt the pain of sitting on an uncomfortable bike seat for hours, and laughed off harsh judgment from former colleagues wondering why I left my job for this and how much money I make.
It’s not about money, I tell them, as I recall how dreadful it is to be in an office rather than outside, along a beautiful river.  I’m paid in smiles from children who delight in taking a ride.  I’m paid in the gratitude I get for stopping to talk to those who are otherwise overlooked.  I’m paid in the awe I experience when I witness a sunset through the frame of an old steel bridge.   And, I’m making a few bucks while exercising, not spinning away money on a gym membership. 
After her triathlon, Juju should be in great shape to work with me! I can carry camera equipment!
Experience my world:  www.bikecabforcutie.blogspot.com.    


 

No comments:

Post a Comment