Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Little Bike that Couldn't. Until...

I'm one of those people who gets thoroughly frustrated when I can't do something.  Especially when it's something I know I am capable of.

The plan was to shuttle luau-goers from a party, up about a 50-meter incline.  Maybe a hill in some books, but not in mine. That is, until I was pulling a 200 pound bike cab and two very average sized women.  I switched into the climbing gear and pedaled and pedaled. Slower and slower.  And then, as I recall and would explain to other drivers, the gears slipped, the shocks bounced and me, the bike, the pedals and the two women stayed very very still. Seconds passed as I put every ounce I had into moving forward but was no more successful at it than the Statue of Liberty would be.  Then my biggest fear was realized as we started rolling backwards. I was certain my tip was slipping away too.  Luckily, the brakes worked, as did my very helpful colleague who jumped off his cab to pull one humiliated driver and two embarrassed passengers up what was seeming like Mount Everest.  

Needless to say, with my inability to get up this hill, it was a rough night on my legs and I can't say my efforts were rewarded financially.  I kept making excuses to myself and the bike boys, blaming the gears and the shocks.  Eventually, I swallowed my pride and decided, being the wuss I'd convinced myself I was, to sit at the top and "help folks who were too tired from walking up the hill."

None of the guys gave me too much grief about it, to my face anyway, but one of them took the very same bike out the next night.  I smiled inside when he told me he returned it to the shop immediately because it was too difficult to ride.  Indeed the shocks were shot and the gears had some serious issues.  I got that update and breathed a sigh of relief just before I had to haul two grown men up that very same hill on a different bike.  Which I did with no problem.

Lesson learned: If you can't do something, try and try again.  Then place the blame somewhere else, and cross your fingers your excuses are validated!  I'm curious how often this method works...

No comments:

Post a Comment